Thursday, September 25, 2008

Finally not sick anymore

I hate it so much when a cold lingers for weeks. I had been feeling mildly ill for about a week and a half.. just waiting for it everyday to fully hit me. Andàlast week it finally happened. I spent lots of time in bed and felt better this weekend. Biggest mistake one can make when 'recovering' from a cold = thinking that it's all gone too early and then spending the weekend running around without a care in the world. I went apple picking on Sunday with my girlfriend and almost her entire family. I'm from Ontario (Toronto) and this apple picking business is definitely not as big of a tradition there as it is here. It was interesting to see the mobs of people gathered in these orchards in gigantic groups filling gigantic bags with apples. And then all of the apple flavoured treats in the shop at the end. I enjoyed the day a lot, the weather was beautiful and I felt like I got to experience another (for lack of a better word) quirky Quebecer tradition. I loved it. Anyway, I probably should have spent the weekend being calm and resting to make sure I was fully recovered from my cold.. because on Monday morning it was back, and worse. I slept most of the day on Monday and then after work and class in the morning on Tuesday I had to go home because I could barely keep my eyes open. I ended up missing our Tuesday afternoon class, which I really didn't want to do, but I didn't think I could make it through.

On Wednesday (yesterday) I had to work all day, thank God I was feeling a lot better. I'm a nanny, so I look after two girls (1 yr old and 4 years old) a few days a week. Yesterday was one of the most intense days I've ever had at work though. While I was alone with the baby she had a seizure. It was her first time, and I've never seen someone having a seizure before... so I was completely scared out of my mind and brought her to the emergency room where we spent almost 5 hours going from waiting room to waiting room. Anyway, she ended up being ok and they think it shouldn't happen again. It was overwhelming and exhausting and I hope I never have to experience something like that again. Definitely enough drama for one week.

No comments: