Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Can't deny it anymore

It's December now, Christmas is soon. I have been avoiding Christmas shopping and covering my ears from Christmas songs for a couple of weeks now, but it's no use anymore. In fact, I even went shopping for a Christmas tree with my partner and her sister this weekend (which goes against all of my values), and this weekend I am probably going to be starting Christmas gift shopping. Oh let the fun begin.
It's not that I don't like Christmas. I do actually. I just feel like there is no need to make it such a huge, long, drawn out affair. Christmas is one day. Christmas celebrations can last a week, I think that's ok. There are lots of people to see and traditions to uphold around this holiday, so a week is fine. But seriously, a month? That's just ridiculous. I feel like people use it so much as something to look forward to and to bring them happiness. Like, for the entire month and a half leading up to Christmas, people have something to think about, something to do, something to plan, something to be excited for. Why can't we be happy and excited about other things? Why do we need a huge commerical holiday to get together with our families and be happy? Makes me kind of sad. I don't really like to look that far in advance, so I am not yet excited or thinking very much about Christmas, instead I am thrilled for this Saturday night because I have my last exam on Saturday afternoon and I can't wait to celebrate and relax for the first time in a while.

No comments: